Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Mon, 22.11.04 19:20, Seth Nickell (snickell redhat com) wrote:

> > Actually grabbing the audio at the gstreamer layer has the problem that
> > only gstreamer apps can do remote audio which would not make the LTSP
> > people very happy.
>
> As opposed to streaming uncompressed audio? That seems like a bad idea
> to me...
>
> I think the "software mixing cause" has been hijacked by terminal
> services concerns. I could be totally wrong, but I suspect that there
> wouldn't be much support for implementing a sound server if all sound
> cards had hardware support for mixing. Finding an issue with bigger
> public interest to support (and then modify slightly to fit their own
> interests) is a common tactic for lobbying groups :-)

I didn't develop polypaudio because I wanted software mixing. I
implemented it because I wanted reliable networked audio so that I can
stream music to every speaker in my house.

That terminal server stuff isn't as exotic as you might think.  You
know that Microsoft pushes that Terminal Server stuff in Windows with
all its power, do you? Terminals are quite common in today's
industry. Consider those nifty Sun Ray machines. Sun wouldn't produce
them if nobody buys them.

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }