Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 00:08 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:

> With sound servers, the issue is very similar in theory, while it's
> different in practice: there's no one single solution that is used by
> all the systems Gnome targets.

True, but:

> So, even selecting polypaudio for inclusion in Gnome is not "solving
> it on the desktop level": it's just selecting an architecture to
> target.  Whether that archicture is ALSA, polypaudio, esound or
> whatever is what we're deciding about.

I think the answer to that is that GNOME should target GStreamer; apps
use the GStreamer source and sink provided from the GConf keys.  Then we
simply drop esound, and state that it is assumed that the target
platform provides sound mixing via one mechanism or another.  GNOME
distributors can change the default sink key.