Re: easy login time win

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 19:00 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> Looking at the Makefile.am, when did we start using GMarkup rather than
> libxml2?   Anyone know what the relative speeds of GMarkup vs libxml2
> are?

The markup backend was much faster at the time that we switched, though
I'm not sure that was the full rationale. It wasn't a fair comparison
anyway since libxml2 backend used DOM and not SAX.

The basic situation here is that optimizing the parser can't possibly be
a big win; we need to avoid loading the zillion translations.
Avoiding the parsing entirely is the way to save a really noticeable
amount of time.

Havoc