Re: easy login time win
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: David Malcolm <dmalcolm redhat com>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: easy login time win
- Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:38:08 -0500
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 19:00 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> Looking at the Makefile.am, when did we start using GMarkup rather than
> libxml2? Anyone know what the relative speeds of GMarkup vs libxml2
The markup backend was much faster at the time that we switched, though
I'm not sure that was the full rationale. It wasn't a fair comparison
anyway since libxml2 backend used DOM and not SAX.
The basic situation here is that optimizing the parser can't possibly be
a big win; we need to avoid loading the zillion translations.
Avoiding the parsing entirely is the way to save a really noticeable
amount of time.
] [Thread Prev