Voting? [Was: How we make decisions...]

<quote who="aigiskos">

> Especially as the GNOME community/project grows larger,  it will become
> necessary to delegate certain decisions to a decision-making body or have
> some sort of referendum of registered voters, so to speak.

Democracy is *not* the right way to go about making a good decision. The GEP
process was about making a proposal, gathering the stakeholders, laying down
the parameters and goals, and putting it up for discussion. If it's not led
by the responsible persons and stakeholders, there won't be a decision.

> It seems we have the groundwork laid for such a process throught the GNOME
> foundation, which has members who can vote.  We even have a voting system
> in place.

The GNOME Foundation does not exist to make technical decisions or get
involved in day to day community stuff. The right people to make these
decisions include module maintainers, subproject leaders, etc.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

     "Linux is not like Novell, it isn't going to run out of money - it
              started off bankrupt, in a way." - Steve Ballmer