Re: Menubar (and Empty Default Desktop) Proposals for GNOME 2.10

Dnia 18-11-2004, czw o godzinie 19:31 +0000, Mike Hearn napisał:
> It's worth noting that Windows has icons for common programs like Internet
> Explorer on the desktop by default, because it's the most visible place
> for them to go.

Note that it's no longer true for XP, and I, as more or less "novice"
user (even though I can use Windows very well, I virtually don't use it
myself, all XP boxen I work with are not mine, but usually something
like lab machines, and most of them come with something near default
state, and from my POV are not configured), must say that change severly
reduces usability for me.

Desktop being prefilled with useful stuff is most important when
starting, when you don't have any apps to obscure it yet, and even more
so when you don't have your environment customised yet, which is by
definition novice user's situation.

The effect is, that with XP my traditional workflow (sit in front of
computer, open up browser, open up My Computer, browse to working
folder, stop and actually think about what to do next) is very much
disturbed by unpleasantly empty desktop XP has

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"