Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 15:18, Nielsen wrote:
I'd just like to chip in and say that I've been wondering about this myself. I'm the maintainer for seahorse which installs an 'agent' daemon process.

Currently it seems (could be wrong here) there's no way to have a daemon start and install environment variables in the users session.

You can't install environment variables unless you are the parent
process.  DBus does this by spawning the xsession with dbus-launch.

Right, but it would seem this only works for one daemon. The traditional way to start such a daemon is in the users shell rc, something like this:

eval `daemon-process`

... and have the daemon output the environment variable code before it exits. However this isn't compatible across shells. If gnome-session could set these variables it would be easier to install.

I think DBUS does this somehow, but having some sort of plugins into gnome-session would make this possible apps that don't come with the distro. It would also make supporting multiple sessions for the same user much easier.

I think I agree with Havoc in saying that in-process plugins within
gnome-session is a scary thought being that any buggy third party plugin
can cause a system to not be able to log into the desktop.

Yes, I agree. By 'plugins' I meant running processes and scripts, with a little more integration. In my case I'm rooting for being able to set environment variables, but there may be other ways that the scripts could interact with gnome-session.

Nate Nielsen