Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

El jue, 04-11-2004 a las 07:37, Alan Cox escribi� On Mer, 2004-11-03 at 22:37, Franco Catrin wrote:
> > - gnome-panel loads all the icons and menu entries (more than 1500 files
> > here)????
>
> The gnome theme could is demented, various people have been looking at
> improving it - I've posted a tool to pack a load of files into one mmap
> shared object, Havoc I believe posted some other suggestions - so if
> you've got time there is easy progress to be made there.

I've seen some suggestions by Owen.  I will look again

> > All preloading is done with readahead.  A small app that loads a list of
> > files.
>
> Using sys_readahead or read() ?

using readahead

This is the piece of code from kernel-utils/readahead.c in FC2

        fd = open(filename,O_RDONLY);
        if (fd<0)
                return;

        if (fstat(fd, &buf)<0)
                return;

        /* don't readahead on nfs */
        if (!gnu_dev_major(buf.st_dev))
                return;

        readahead(fd, (loff_t)0, (size_t)buf.st_size);
        close(fd);

--
Franco Catrin L. TUXPAN
http://www.tuxpan.com/fcatrin