Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Sat, 30.10.04 17:13, Iain * (iaingnome gmail com) wrote:

> > This implementation would be somewhat compatible with the current way
> > Gnome works: when the session starts, gnome uploads all samples to
> > esound. (In contrast to the design of Iain which does "lazy" sample
> > caching).
>
> My design doesn't have to be a lazy method of caching. I proposed the
> gnome_sound_cache function to preload sounds into the cache.

I am sorry, I misunderstood you than.

>From an implemention point of view I would rather go with the simple
design I described earlier simply due to the fact that this
"can-cache" stuff wouldn't fit in the polypaudio API that well. On
polypaudio you have playback streams or you have upload streams, but
not both at once for the same data. (and on esd it's the same)

Anyway, this not really important since you can always glue this
together with some extra code, but someone has to write the code.

So, is there somebody who is willing to implement one of the two
design? It's probably more important to get a useful implementation
running, and not to design the perfect solution that makes every one
happy but no one wants to implement. Probably, both solutions that
were propesed here fulfill the requirements, it's just a matter of
elegance, as I see it.

(No, I am not willing to implement this now, my todo list regarding
polypaudio is more than stuffed, and I am not a Gstreamer guru anyway.)

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }