Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Mon, 01.11.04 20:39, Sander Vesik (sander_traveling yahoo co uk) wrote:

Hi!

> > - Using the module "combine" you can combine several sound cards into
> >   one for simultaneous playback (including sample rate adjustment)
> > - arbitrary sample types (more than two channels, arbitrary sample
> >   rates)
> >

> Thats all nice but what matter are:
>
>     * what happens if the rate is not the same as supported by the
>       soundcard, as in how (un)sensible is resampling

I am sorry, I am not sure that I understood what you want?

Polypaudio does resampling of all audio streams if it is
needed. i.e. if you want to playback your 48khz audio stream over a
polypaudio server to your 44khz sound device, it's fine. Polypaudio
will do the job for you, the stream is resampled on-the-fly, the
client application doesn't even notice if and what kind of resampling
polypaudio does internally.

> and
>     * what happens when two applications try to send data to the same soundcard
>       - say an alert sound while some background music is playing, as in how
>       (un)sensible is the mixing

Just as with ESD both streams are mixed and playback happens
simultaneously. i.e. your music stream isn't interrupted in any
way. The alert sound is mxied into the music stream.

BTW: Since I don't like that (usually very loud) alert sounds disturb my
music listening pleasure I wrote a module for polypaudio that allows
you to automatically tune down all event sounds in favor of the main
music stream. (module-match)

> and
>     * how (badly) does it work on *BSD and Solaris right now, as in "how much
>       extra work for porters".

See other mails.

> if we are going to replace esd these two are IMHO the key things to look at.
> All the rest is for the most part on the "extra fluff" side of things (and
> get completely drowned out in the happy shouting of "no more esd")

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }