Re: Proposing gwget for Gnome 2.10

mån 2004-11-01 klockan 14:45 +0100 skrev David Sedeño Fernández:
> El lun, 01-11-2004 a las 11:21 +0100, Fredrik Hedberg escribió:
> Hi,
> >
> > Without having more than a short look at the project, I think we need
> > more generic download manager in Gnome, preferably built on gnomevfs.
> > This way we benefit from gnomevfs modules allowing us to download data
> > from sources not possible with wget, such as smb, p2p networks,
> ifolder
> > or whatever. Could gwget be extended to support this kind of
> operation?
>
> gwget  was not designed with this in mind and I think that could be
> difficult to extend to support others protocols. Gnomevfs support could
> be done but p2p support could be more problematic.
>
> Thinking about, there are so much protocols with different approachs,
> eg: p2p that need share a directory, others not..., smb it's already in
> gnomevfs, and http too but doesn't support recursive downloads, etc..,
> that a unique program to manage all of them will have a LOT of work. In
> the other side, we can have gwget to manage http/ftp downloads (with
> options like recursive downloads, etc.. ) and maybe gnomevfs support for
> other protocols (like smb) in near future.
>
> Cheers
>
> David Sedeño

I might be wrong, but if gnome-vfs supports these protocols, then maybe
nautilus and the browsers should handle the download? Its better to work
on nautilus/browsers than making more programs do the same tasks as
nautilus.

I might be wrong, but is not these Downloading programs used for example
to download files that already is half downloaded, eg interrupted or
somathing. If not nautilus supports that, (or the browser) then, its
something that should be added there, not in third-party application.

But thats just my point of view..