Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

Today at 13:39, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> В Вск, 28.03.2004, в 13:29, jamie пишет:
>
>> For Gnome 3, the options increase to having C and Mono (with the Python
>> in 2.8 running on Mono).
>
> They only do if the legal situation clears up. That was my point. Do you
> agree? Or do you think, from a legal POV, Mono is a viable way to go for
> the community already?

This is not only about legal issues.  Many contributors would *not* be
interested in working with something based on Microsoft's technology
(and same goes for Sun's).

This is as much of a political issue as it is of technical/legal
issue.  Technical/legal issues can be resolved for any of the
solutions (discussion seems to have gone the way of how easy that is
for Mono or Java), which leaves us with the political ones.

With free software having major influence over many contributors, I
believe political issues are not to be disregarded.  Yes, some even
consider usage of free software as political/personal statement.

It doesn't matter if some of the "practical" folks consider that
"near-sighted" or whatever, that's the result akin to
free-software/open-source split (where sort of collaboration did live
on, but this might be more sensitive), and I think Havoc was worried
about that mostly, not about the technical merits (of course, I'm not
talking for him, so he can correct me if I'm dead wrong :).

Cheers,
Danilo