Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 11:48, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 16:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > My suggestion if we want to do something in 2.8 and we can't get people
> > behind "open source Java subset" is:
> >  - make full introspection data on the GTK+ API more formally part of
> >    GTK+, so language bindings aren't maintaining this themselves
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here? Do you just mean GObject properties?

Well, I'm not 100% sure either - but several of the bindings seem to
have header-file-scanners that create a description of all the
functions, and we've been discussing introspection metadata on the dbus
list. If you put that together you could at least have a standard
maintained-in-GTK+ way to generate bindings, or even better enable
dynamic bindings based on libffi, P/Invoke style approach.

I don't know, basically just look at how we can better automate bindings
along the lines of XPCOM/UNO. Add some cheesy component-system style
features to GObject.

I'm looking for practical easy steps forward here.

Havoc