Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 16:48, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 16:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > My suggestion if we want to do something in 2.8 and we can't get people
> > behind "open source Java subset" is:
> >  - make full introspection data on the GTK+ API more formally part of
> >    GTK+, so language bindings aren't maintaining this themselves
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here? Do you just mean GObject properties?

Full introspection would have to include everything especially the
methods (preferably both protected and public). If we cant introspect
the method table internally then we could easily create external type
libraries that fully describe the object via some kind of IDL/XML (on
windows, tlb files were used for this and they allowed easy design time
usage of com objects in multiple languages). A simple converter could
then be built to translate the type library into whatever bindings you
want automatically (no need to even touch a c header file).

jamie.