Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 17:41 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Fonts, icons, other fun stuff. I assume if g-v-m links to libgnomeui
> it's because it opens dialogs sometimes or something.

We're wandering offtopic for this thread but oh well ...

I guess things like the fonts/icon themes are allocated on demand so
most of these programs won't be using them .... right?

I'm probably misunderstanding but if every app which links to libgnomeui
gets this stuff allocated as part of its startup then I'm currently
losing 24mb of memory to it:

cd /proc;
for d in *; do
  if [ ! -d $d ]; then continue; fi;
  if [ ! -e $d/maps ]; then continue; fi;
  if grep -q libgnomeui $d/maps; then readlink $d/exe; fi;
done | wc -l

gives 16 programs linked against libgnomeui, 16*1.5 == 24.

Perhaps it'd be worth using shared memory for these things rather than
allocating them all on the heap?

Here is the list of programs on my desktop using libgnomeui:

/opt/gnome26/bin/epiphany-bin
/opt/gnome26/bin/gnome-session
/opt/gnome26/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
/opt/gnome26/bin/gnome-panel
/opt/gnome26/bin/nautilus
/opt/gnome26/libexec/clock-applet
/opt/gnome26/libexec/evolution/1.5/evolution-alarm-notify
/opt/gnome26/bin/gnome-terminal
/opt/gnome26/bin/file-roller
/opt/gnome26/libexec/wnck-applet
/opt/gnome26/libexec/notification-area-applet
/opt/gnome26/libexec/mixer_applet2
/opt/gnome26/libexec/mailcheck-applet
/opt/gnome26/libexec/stickynotes_applet
/opt/gnome26/libexec/multiload-applet-2