Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 17:30, Robert Love wrote:
> GNOME Volume Manager is a simple state machine that acts as a policy
> engine on top of HAL.  It includes a control panel applet.  Said policy
> includes auto-mounting of any hot-plugged removable device, auto-
> mounting of media such as CD's and DVD's, auto play of {Blank,Data,
> Audio,Video} CD's, and auto importing of photos from camera.

OK, just to gratuitously whine ;-)

One more control panel - ugh. They are like weeds! Worse, apparently
being driven by tarball organization of the release, not by top down
design :-/ cf. "Preferences, System Tools" thread. Not a problem of your
making, but...

Secondary whine - we could benefit from getting the footprint of the
desktop down. I wonder if reducing the number of separate processes
(applets, daemons, etc.) is one element of that.

Neither of these problems is g-v-m specific so of course I'm just using
the occasion to whine, not opposing g-v-m inclusion ;-)

Havoc