Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

El mar, 08-06-2004 a las 05:51, Sergey V. Udaltsov escribió:
> > >   Sergey would have exactly the opposite
>
> Yes I do!:)
>
> > > perspective here.  Users that frequently flip
> amongst various
> > > layouts want to configure this at the user level.
>
> Exactly! And even semantically - in the real world, the
> set of languages a person uses is a highly PERSONAL
> thing. So if Johnny speaks Russian, his girlfriend Mary
> (or should I say Bobby these days?:) may want to use
> Hungarian - on the same machine.
>
> > 1. they are the vast minority
> ??? Any statistics?

Run a poll and have 30 people participate, in which you ask them how
frequently they change their keyboard layouts.

Over here, it's 0/30.

Try not to have "selection bias" in your sample.

My point wasn't to discuss this.  I meant to highlight that (if you'd
like to call it, DEFAULT) keyboard layout is definitely a system
setting, but that it should be also user-configurable so users don't
need the root password to change it.

This was all about how best to organize control panels in a shell.

> > 2. their changing of keyboard layouts should affect
> only them, thus
> > rendering that keyboard layout change ONLY valid for
> that user.  They
> > can want to configure it all day long, but that
> should not mean they
> > should change systemwide settings.
> Sorry, probably I did not get this point. Are you
> saying there still will be personal preferences.

Of course.

> Just my 0.02. XF86Config/xorg.conf format is very
> cumbersome - and not really standartized. So I would
> not want to parse/modify it - it would make GNOME
> dependant on XFree family of servers (which I am trying
> to fight against).

Shouldn't the GNOME system tools account for different X server
configuration types?