Re: hardware peripherals [was Preferences, System Tools ]

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 03:03, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 00:30, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> > One last note about printers.  If I plug a USB printer into my computer,
> > shouldn't the printer preference identify it and suggest the right
> > driver?
>
> Yes, it would be nice if gnome-cups-manager had the required HAL magic
> to get called when a USB printer was added.
>
> Small sad fact of life: all Epson USB printers have the same
> manufacturer/product code.

I recall it being mentioned that these printers have some other
proprietary API that can identify the printer.  It would be possible, I
imagine, to install a callout that triggers for those Epson USB product
codes, queries the printer, and updates/corrects the HAL properties for
the device.

> Ross
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.