Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Nettool for GNOME 2.8

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:19 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Murray Cumming">
>
> > Personally, I think this is very useful stuff for an administrator,
> > network engineer, or developer. But I don't think it helps users with
> > their goals.
>
> "Hello?"
> "Hi there, my internet is down."
> "Aha. Can you load web pages?"
> "No."
> "Can you use $INTERNAL_APPLICATION?"
> "No."
> "I see. Okay, go to your Applications menu, choose Internet, and then
> Network Information."
> "Uh huh. Uh huh. Okay."
> "Now you should see a 'Devices' page, can you see that?"
> "Yes."
> "What does the 'IP address' field say?"
> "Zero dot zero dot zero dot zero."
> "Alright, let's fix that..."

The GNOME System Tools' Network tool seems to deal with most of this. I
don't think the user will be asked to run the in-depth stuff that
nettool seems to provide.

For instance, administrators do not often ask users to run a traceroute
on Windows or MacOS.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com