Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Nettool for GNOME 2.8

El vie, 04-06-2004 a las 19:22, +0200, Luca Ferretti escribió:
> Il ven, 2004-06-04 alle 13:39, Rodrigo Moya ha scritto:

> > > IMHO this is a Very Good (R) idea. An useful tool.
> > >
> > > But personally I like some UI changes. In fact I suppose the current UI
> > > is not so HIG-compliant. For example, if I remember well HIG:
> > >
> > > I can design a glade file.
> > >
> > yes, please, because I don't think I've understood all your ideas
>
> OK, it's attached. All changes should fit HIG specs and should not dump
> previous design[1]. Here just some random notes.
>
> - a good title is IMHO: "Network Tools - <selected-tool>"

Agree.

> - status bar is the GnomeAppBar widget with progress bar active (see
> Feedback chapted in HIG 1.0 or DRAFT). The progress bar (activity mode)
> give a visual feedback that the tool is running. Message are is useful
> to place menu item's tooltips and eventually other info

AFAIR, GnomeAppBar is not recomended and in the near future it
will be deprecated.

> [...]
> - list: see HIG->Controls->Tabbed Notebooks. Just a question. Alphabetic
> order?

What about popular or common use order?  With alphabetic order, What it
will happen when the tool will be translated? if could be confusing if
someone is trying to give support but with the english version and
the user with spanish version.

> - ping: this tool's UI is very different form others. You have 2 output
> areas (list and summary) and ideally you need 3 input lines:
>
>         Network address:  [_______________|v]
>         [x] Send a limited number of requests
>             Send [5  #] requests
>
> So the hack "set the request number to 0 to send infinite pings". Note
> that average-user will not need to send infinite ping,

infinite is not "infinite" at all.  Just 100 pings.  We would like to
be
net friendly :-)

--
Germán Poó Caamaño