Re: SVG (at least for icons) [Was: Industrial as default theme?]

fre 2004-06-04 klockan 18.06 skrev Mike Hearn:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:14:06 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > I don't think I've seen a simple, one-size-fits-all SVG icon theme. Most
> > of them are quirky or over-stylised, which are fine things if you're
> > making a conscious decision, but not so great for a sensible default
> > theme. Could you point out some SVG icon themes that would be
> > appropriate to choose as the default?
>
> I thought one problem with SVG icons was that they had problems looking
> good when scaled down. I'm not sure if the icon theming system can deal
> with using hand-tweaked PNGs for say 16x16 icons, but using SVG once the
> icon goes above a particular size, and I'm not sure how good that would
> look anyway.
>
> Besides, remember those of us who still use 1024x768 or (gasp) 800x600!
> The current Gnome artwork looks great, very professional, and there's no
> need to abandon that straight away.

What is the relative speed difference in actual use? I have seen claims
that for reasonably simple icons, SVG can actually be faster to render
than the equivalent png:s. If so, could we not just have more than one
SVG set per icon theme for different sizes, almost the way we have now?
One set drawn to look good at around 16x16ish (for perhaps 32x32 and
below), one for 64x64 or so, and perhaps a third, really detailed at
256x256?