Re: PROPOSAL: Evolution for GNOME 2.8

The position stated in the policy draft is that it's a bad idea to
assign copyright to anyone but the FSF or GNOME Foundation, with FSF
preferred if you must.  One important advantage that copyright
assignment nullifies is the fact that no entity has the power to create
a non-free forked version, whereas in a copyright assignment situation,
depending in the agreement used for the assignment, the company can
indeed choose to do that.

While Ximian demonstrated repeatedly that it's a good corporate citizen
in the GNOME community, and Novell seems committed to maintaining that
relationship, I do not think that it is in the best interests of the
GNOME community to rely on the good graces of Novell not to adopt a
proprietary model with all or part of the Evolution code base.

Of course, it's not possible to revoke GPL once shipped, but it would be
possible to fork it and start shipping a combined work with the GPL code
but not license it under the GPL.

Basically the moral of the story is I'd like to see the agreement that
Novell uses for copyright assignment.  If the agreement is not
acceptable, I would support the inclusion of a "forked" community
evolution that does not require assignment of copyright to Novell.

-Rob