Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME System Tools for 2.8 [was: Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Nettool for GNOME 2.8]

On vie, 2004-06-04 at 01:21 +0200, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> El jue, 03-06-2004 a las 19:19, +1000, Jeff Waugh escribió:
>
> <snip>
> > "Hello?"
> > "Hi there, my internet is down."
> > "Aha. Can you load web pages?"
> > "No."
> > "Can you use $INTERNAL_APPLICATION?"
> > "No."
> > "I see. Okay, go to your Applications menu, choose Internet, and then
> > Network Information."
> > "Uh huh. Uh huh. Okay."
> > "Now you should see a 'Devices' page, can you see that?"
> > "Yes."
> > "What does the 'IP address' field say?"
> > "Zero dot zero dot zero dot zero."
> "Alright, let's fix that... open a console, type su, enter root password
> and type $FAVOURITE_TEXT_EDITOR $DISTRO_NETWORK_CONFIG_FILE"
>
> and here comes the traditional gnome system tools proposal! turning this
> into
>
> "Alright, let's fix that... click on the 'configure' button beside the
> device name and ..." [1]
>
> The GNOME System Tools not only configure networking, they also
> configure users & groups, time & date, services at startup and
> bootloaders config, and they do this on Debian, Mandrake, RedHat,
> Fedora, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Slackware, PLD...[2] and therefore, most of any
> derived distro. They are also being sucessfully deployed and used by
> sysadmins and users in Extremadura (as they are the default system tools
> for their distro)

That's right, not only in Extremadura, in Andalucía too.
In fact those are the largest GNOME Desktop deployment in Europe.

Say that GSTools shouldn't be included in GNOME is incorrect becouse in
fact a lot of people are using it already.

> what more can I say?
>
> 	Carlos

Greetings,
Alberto Ruiz.