Re: new module: eggcups

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:00:20PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> As mentioned before, this requires a D-BUS patched CUPS daemon in order
> to function at all.  For reference, I've added the patch to the eggcups
> module.  I'd like to consider the eggcups module the canonical reference
> for this patch, so if you are a distributor and adopt it, and need to
> modify the patch for any reason, please let me know.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time in the near future to support
> the non-DBUS case.

This is going to be a sticking point.  While the d-bus support is
definitely nice, I don't see us being able to depend on it's
existence in GNOME proper.  On the corporate level we can all
attempt to ship with the patch, but wearing my community hat I don't
see us requiring it even when it merges into cupsd.  IMO we can't
force a user to upgrade some piece of infrastructure to work.

We could potentially supply a fallback gnomeprintd which consists of
the cupsd d-bus patch and some polling of cupsd.  It's a brutal
hack, but would likely provide a decent fallback.