Re: new module: eggcups

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:23:12PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> > Then again, maybe the management parts of g-c-m should
> > be pulled into gnome-system-tools...
>
> My thoughts on this are that ideally, there would be no need for system
> tools at all.  For example instead of "Add Printer", you dynamically
> detect printers being plugged in, and configure them, prompting for a
> driver if necessary.  This already partially works with the HAL backend
> for CUPS (modulo driver prompting).  With the patches Matthias and I
> have made for libgnomeprint, they then show up in your print dialogs
> automatically, while the print dialog is open even.

gnome-cups-add is evolving to fill the need for
    'prompting for a driver if necessary'
and will continue to be necessary for remote printers that are not
connected to cups
    - smb browsing (mostly done modulo bugs)
    - ipp scanning (todo)
    - improved snmp support

Although I prefer the eggcups job centric approach for most usage
there is still a need for printer management for things like
    - renaming the queue (cups-add autonames things now)
    - changing the driver
    - Changing the default settings for a queue
	(Foo-lowres vs Foo-highres-duplex)
    - deleting a queue