Re: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6

> >I think we understand why we're not going to add random software to the
> release.
>
> There is no clear cut Andrew. I offered three solutions in my previous email
> and all three have their good and the bad points, there is no clear cut
> anywhere. Leaving the situation as is  (shipping without Evolution) also has
> its major negative points as well.

Still, having a gnome release with apps that are not ready is much worse
than having lack of user visible features.  If you were to review a GNOME
release and it contained applications that were buggy, would you not give
it a bad review because we didn't put the polish and love that deserved?

> Well then, how come there is no media player, IM client and an email client
> included with it? Aren't these "general" enough for Gnome users?

Yes, it's unfortunate.  But if they aren't ready?  What do you want to us
to do?  Replace it with apps that don't follow the guidelines we've set
up?

> As you can see, Gnome --that you defend so much-- ain't perfect. So, please

No software is.

> try to be understanding here. I am just trying to outline a few arising
> problems and offer some possible solutions (which might, or might not be
> good solutions). I believe the Gnome project should evaluate all its options
> and also recognize the fact that leaving Evolution out is a real problem
> (for many different reasons as I explained earlier).

Well, the problem isn't as serious really as described.  Distributions are
going to add evolution themselves.  Just because we don't have it as
official doesn't mean it won't be in there.  While I generally hate this
argument myself; in terms of impact it's not going to be as bad as you're
stating.  Most users won't even know that Evolution is not part of the
Desktop Release.

sri