Re: Scripting in Gnome

From: Rob Adams <readams readams net>

> We already have that -- python and perl

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 10:33, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> How about supporting scripting so that apps could be built using just
> scripts in XML

XML is a description language rather than a scripting language.

Python and Perl are definitely scripting languages, and there are a
large number of others as well.

The question is - are you wanting a scripting language that is good for
writing small applications - or are you wanting a scripting language that
is good for extending the functionality of an existing non-scripting language
application?

For instance, on Windows, Visual Basic for Applications is available in
many applications, allowing one to create new mega-functionality
(where one invokes existing pieces of applications to create new ways
for people to get things done).

Are there different requirements for such uses?  And how does one
garner support within the GNOME community to encompass such a framework
consistently enough so that it becomes a common feature of many applications?
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>