Problem with file associations

I have a problem for about to weeks with file associations on HEAD

When I try to open any file (desktop icon, WP file, spreadsheet) I get
the message (network browsing as an example)
----
There is no action associated with "windows network".

You can configure GNOME to associate applications with file types. Do
you want to associate an application with this file type now?
----

Also the desktop files showup as .desktop names and nothing is listed in
open with.

Has there been a new module module added that I have missed?