Problem with file associations

I have a problem for about to weeks with file associations on HEAD

When I try to open any file (desktop icon, WP file, spreadsheet) I get
the message (network browsing as an example)
There is no action associated with "windows network".

You can configure GNOME to associate applications with file types. Do
you want to associate an application with this file type now?

Also the desktop files showup as .desktop names and nothing is listed in
open with.

Has there been a new module module added that I have missed?