Re: Scripting in Gnome

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:33 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> How about supporting scripting so that apps could be built using just
> scripts in XML (similar to mozilla's XUL)? Its also a great way to
> extend finctionality on say Gnome panel (Eg being able to have say
> OnMouseOver events and such like).
>
> Would be great to have a GnomeScript app that takes in a script language
> definition/specification as an xml file and allows this new language to
> be used for such scripting.

What would be *really* nice is a desktop-wide object model (be it DOM or
something else) and proliferation of this among apps, so you can do
those absolutely incredible things you can do with COM/AppleScript.

It's simply impossible to do some of the things on GNOME that you can do
with, say, Windows in terms of "remote control."

We already have most (all?) of the pieces of the puzzle, there just
isn't wide-spread movement to get them into apps.  :(