Re: Extending the Gnome search capabilities to be able to search in OOo files

El sáb, 24-01-2004 a las 10:40, Curtis C. Hovey escribió:
> On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 10:01, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > > I am envisioning a plugable architecture that constructs a pipeline for
> > > extracting and manufacturing metadata.  OO.o files would be process in
> > > something like this:
> > >
> > > src=my.swx > posix-extractor > mime-typer >
> > > zip > src=content.xml > markup > text-summarizer
> > >    \
> > >     > src=meta.xml > markup > office-meta
> > >

> > I've been thinking that something like this would be great for version
> > control, too.  XML really lends itself to being version-controlled with
> > diff.  If we had a standard API for getting XML out of binaries, cvs
> > and friends could suddenly take a big leap forward in terms of usefulness
> > to modern apps :)
>
> Take a look at http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/features.html.  Seth
> Nickell envisioned a similar mechanism.  Smart apps would use version
> control in place of saving documents, opting instead to mark revisions.
> Document collaboration would take a great leap forward.
>
> The metadata Db I want to create is very compatible with Storage.
> Sometime in the future I image Medusa being a metadata search tool, and
> metadata residing in Storage.

I think it would be good if things like storage and medusa could be
pushed down the software stack, sort of "in-the-filesystem" or as a
dependable, ubiquitous low-level service.

Please get in touch with Hans Reiser - he's working on this and perhaps
collaboration could yield faster, better, more integrated results.
--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net