Re: Extending the Gnome search capabilities to be able to search in OOo files

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 11:12, Tino Rachui wrote:
> Hi David!
>
> >I have extended the search capabilities of gnome-search-tool by
> >wrapping it in a script which
> >1. adds a directory to PATH that contains a "grep" script that
> >   converts openoffice (and word) documents to text before running
> >   /bin/grep on it and then
> >2. runs /usr/bin/gnome-search-tool
> >
> >Of course this is a horrible hack and very slow, but seems to be
> >reliable, and I keep telling myself that there's no point doing
> >anything fancier (like hacking gnome-search-tool to use an indexer
> >like htdig or namazu) since medusa is on its way.
> >
> >I can put the
> >scripts on the web, if you think you might use them Tino.
> >

> Yes please do so. At least I'd like to have a look on it.
> Thanks.

Your welcome -- I just hope it doesn't make you feel ill:

http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~dcs/progs/anygrep.tgz

BTW, I remembered (after deleting the previous emails) about some work
I've heard that uses XML and version control to archive scientific
data.   Seth &al probably know about it, but just in case not,
http://db.cis.upenn.edu/Publications/

David.