Re: [Usability] RE: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:52:05AM -0600, Paul Thompson wrote:
> Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> >>Hmm, as I recall, Nautilus at least remembered icon/list view
> >>per-folder.  Dunno about zoom.  Ideally, the file selector
> >>would honor these options completely.
> >
> >I'm not following this whole thread, but ... I hope you aren't suggesting
> >that the file selector should switch between icon and list views as you
> >navigate to a folder, depending on the Nautilus setting for that folder.
> >The
> >file selector is not the Nautilus file manager.
>
> From a usability perpective, let me play devil's advocate for a minute.
>
> Is this last bit - about the file selector not doing this because it "is
> not the Nautilus file manager" - really the right REASON for saying that
> the file selector should not do the suggested behavior?

Just to continue on a bit here, I can see this being a useful feature.
For example, some data is easier dealt with in different formats.  IE:
movies and images are most likely going to be most useful in the
thumbnail view, whilst code or data would be best in the list view (or
any similarly named files), and your standard $HOME directory is
probably easiest to view in the tile/icon view.  YMMV of course, but I
can see advantages to having the filesel either remembering a view state
or following the nautilus' suggestion for the view state.

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain