Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

I'm back to my initial idea of develop my own library based on iso-codes
database (extending it).

As Daniel told here (I did not look at that, my fault), the libicu
library size is 7Mb, without translations!!!, the translations are +4Mb

The ideal solution will be that all libc libraries added this
information, that's true, but if we add it now, it cannot be used until
that version becomes widely used.

For example, to get the same functionality icu gives but using libc +
gettext + extra library we need to I'm evaluating now the possibility to
use setlocale to retrieve other languages information, but it only works
if it's a single thread application. setlocale is not multithread safe.

Now, since glibc 2.3.0 we have a new function called uselocale, that
fixes that problem but we can only use it with recent systems and only
with glibc. What happens with *BSD, Solaris and "put here your preferred
nonglibc system"? How could we get it?

[...]

> > What will we won with ICU?
> >
> > Just look at: http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/lx/en/?_=es_ES and
> > you will see all the information we can get without the need of a
> > translator to give us that information.
>
> glibc also has some of those information, and a few other things ICU
> doesn't have. We need to extend the locale format somehow, maybe.

I was not talking about using all icu's information but only the one
libc does not have.

> > Of course, I'm not talking about use all icu functionality because it
> > has some functionality already available with libc but the translations
> > database is the best thing we can get, also, it's used by other projects
> > so there are more people maintaining it.
>
> The translation database is exactly the place they don't want to expend
> much on.
>
> roozbeh

Cheers.

--