Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 11:00, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> My take is the desktop release is a _developer tool_ so that we can
> freeze and integration test one logical subcomponent/module of the OS,
> namely the desktop environment, and then make available a set of source
> code known to work together. We also try to make this release
> self-contained and buildable enough that testers can test and the tech
> savvy can build it for their own use.

Havoc is correct, and from an desktop interaction point of view
rhythmbox is not yet a key part of the desktop system of tools.
Rhythmbox needs to bring added back-end integration before it can play
that key role in the integration of GNOME.  I use RB as my music player
and really like it, however until it provides an integration layer
between itself and other programs I don't see the advantage of putting
it into the GNOME release.

A module that different is the Evolution libs, in my opinion are needed
because they bring in functionality for handling email and news data.
These libs can be accessed from any other GNOME app to integrate with
contacts and addresses.  The evo shell is another issue for the other
thread.

Convincing distros to include apps by including them in GNOME is not the
solution.  Talk to your distro maintainer, if that doesn't work switch
distros.  Distributions will do what they want with the pieces of GNOME,
but the integrated parts must be included to make our DE work.

~ Bryan