Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:53:51 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> RB has definitely come of age, but I think that it may be more appropriate
> for a super-pimped-up GNOME Multimedia release, along with some of the cool
> things coming out of the GStreamer project. A simple sound and video player
> such as Totem would make sense for the Desktop release.

It's worth remembering that for many years now neither Windows nor MacOS
have shipped with a simple "mplayer" type app.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not comparing Totem to old Microsoft mplayer.
Totem is a great video player. It plays my DVDs, my videos, with the right
files it even plays the BBC RealMedia streams which so far I never got
working with anything else.

It isn't a music management app though, and one thing I notice amongst my
friends is that they *all* use WMP 9 now whereas they used to just use
WinAmp. The competition is shipping RhythmBox-type apps by default, out of
the box, and people use and love them!

Why then should Gnome not do this?

For all the words she uses, I think Eugenia has some good points. If you
start saying "oh well the distro will include it anyway" then there's
little point in having a desktop release at all.

I think it makes sense to look at what Microsoft and Apple are doing
for guidance here.

thanks -mike