Re: The Big Proposed Modules Discussion

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 00:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to kick off some more detailed proposed modules discussion on
> d-d-l in a number of mails that will hit the list in the next 10 minutes.
> I'm separating out each module thread because it's easier, and some people
> use mailers that break threading, which would utterly confuse everyone if it
> was all in the same thread.

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't raise the issue of documentation.
I'll reply to each proposal for an application and give the state of the
documentation for that application, if it has any. I'm only looking at
application documentation at this point, not libraries.

> I want to make it absolutely clear that I am starting these threads with my
> own personal opinions, which have nothing to do with release team policy or
> predisposition on the eventual decision. The release team is tasked with
> proposing direction based on consensus. Sometimes, that means making tough
> decisions to resolve problems or arguments, but usually we don't even have
> to do that. :-)

And I want to make it absolutely clear that I am responding to these
proposals soley in my position as GDP Fearless Leader.  This isn't my
personal opinion of any of the applications, or whether I feel they're
suitable for inclusion in the GNOME Desktop.  I am only stating how the
documentation is for each application.

I am also not saying that applications with no documentation should not
be included in the GNOME Desktop.  Of course, maintainers will have to
follow our freezes so that our documentors have a stable interface to
develop documentation from.  But that's a given.  And maintainers need
to be willing to work with the GDP to produce better documentation.

I am only looking for documentation that is installed with the help
system.  That is, I want to see DocBook with OMF files that are being
registered with ScrollKeeper.  I have, however, noted man pages whenever
I happened to notice them.

--
Shaun