Re: Proposed: gswitchit

Would be nice to have a status report,
So, Jeff, you asked for it:)

Well, technically gswitchit is not a module per ce any more. It was split into two parts: the applet (already in in gnome-applets) and ... some part of gnome-control-center (currently it works as a part of the gnome-keyboard-properties but there is a chance it will go into i18n by carlos - first interesting question to discuss here, opinions welcome). Some shared code was moved to the library libgswitchit which is just virtual module included into both g-a and g-c-c. Yes, GNOME (g-a and g- c-c) got extra dependency - libxklavier. So gswitchit did not increase the number of tarballs in gnome - and add one tarball into dependencies.

About the flags ... well, I will always have a golden bullet in my gun for you Jeff. So will Shooby (and many users) I believe. That is it. Watch your 6.

Currently, there is a big BIG question regarding gkb-gswitchit integration/merge/collaboration. Just a couple of words about the matter of problem. We believe GNOME should support environments without xkb (or broken xkb - I heard Solaris has it) - so we cannot just get rid of gkb applet in favor of gswitchit. We cannot expect user to be smart enough to choose the right applet for his environment (out of two existing applets) - so user should see ONE menu entry, providing him with the best solution (for his money, sorry, his X server). The _perfect_ solution would be to teach gswitchit how to live in xmodmap world (starting from xmodmap backend in libxklavier). But we are not sure it is doable in 2.6 timeframe. That is where we are now. On Monday, there will be a meeting at #gswitchit where I hope we'll make some final decision. If anyone is interested, has any bright ideas regarding gswitchit and/or gkb - welcome at 2200GMT.

Regards,

Sergey