Re: request for string addition

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 00:34, Evan Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:19:23AM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 20:41 +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> > > And source messages should use American English spellings according
> > > to the GNU/GNOME standards.
> >
> > There's nothing in the GNU/GNOME standards (if such a thing exists)
> > saying which language should be used as the base ("C") language for
> > programs.
>
> While I can't find it, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a guide
> somewhere (the gettext manual?) that we ought to use American English.
> I remember it in particular because it sorta surprised me.
>
> But before this becomes a flamewar:  it's not hard to provide en_US
> and en_GB translations.  A recent poll[1] found that 9.5% of the users
> used my program in its British translation.

That seems a bit much to have translations for both especially as
probably 99% of spellings are identical.

I didn't know behaviour was spelt "behavior" in US english and I imagine
the opposite applies too. There's no problem in understanding US or UK
english regardless of how they are spelt, so why not let the author of
the app choose. That way any english speaking programmer does not have
to learn the US or UK specific spellings for their own GUI apps.

The other alternative would be to avoid words that are spelt differently
though I expect thats not practical with common words like colour.

> [1] http://www.livejournal.com/community/logjam/74581.html
> (Doesn't necessarily include all users, British users are more likely to
> respond because they want to be represented, polling bias etc. etc.)

AFAIK UK english is taught/used in all other countries outside North
America so your poll might be reflecting that fact too.

Jamie.