Re: request for string addition

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:19:23AM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 20:41 +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> > And source messages should use American English spellings according
> > to the GNU/GNOME standards.
>
> There's nothing in the GNU/GNOME standards (if such a thing exists)
> saying which language should be used as the base ("C") language for
> programs.

While I can't find it, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a guide
somewhere (the gettext manual?) that we ought to use American English.
I remember it in particular because it sorta surprised me.

But before this becomes a flamewar:  it's not hard to provide en_US
and en_GB translations.  A recent poll[1] found that 9.5% of the users
used my program in its British translation.

[1] http://www.livejournal.com/community/logjam/74581.html
(Doesn't necessarily include all users, British users are more likely to
respond because they want to be represented, polling bias etc. etc.)

--
Evan Martin
martine danga com