Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:54 +0100, Paolo Borelli wrote:

> It seems to me that translating the name on the fly introduces a lot of
> behavior inconsistencies (cannot be moved, cannot be renamed, they
> change name whe changing locale or are accessed by another user etc)
> between these special folders and normal folders. I fear that this would
> be fairly confusing for a user since these folders are in its ~ and they
> show up in nautilus in the exact same way as his normal folders

These issues are intrinsic to "special-cased folders," not to how they
are translated. In other words if you have a special folder for sharing
or for desktop, then you get these kind of effects.

So I would take this as an argument to avoid special folders (maybe only
have ~/Desktop) rather than as an argument about how to localize them.

Havoc