Re: File notification [was Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals]

On Gwe, 2004-12-10 at 20:27, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> I was thinking more along the lines of Medusa (as a daemon) managing the
> metadata than Nautilus. Non-local and non-native partitions might
> require additional notification mechanisms but that shouldn't stop us
> having things like Medusa and indexers like Beagle which could "just
> work" locally without having to watch every file on your hard drive.

Watch subtree would certainly be more effective and scalable providing
you can get the information out in a useful manner. For an indexer thats
quite tricky - one approach would be to hand the indexer a read only
file handle to the object when it closes or after some kind of timeout
iff the indexer is the same uid as the closer. Otherwise if I pass a
path name the file may have moved again.