Re: build sherrif-ery - nautilus-media fails to configure

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 17:58 +0100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > (1) what functionality are we losing because of the nautilus changes?
>
> The music view.
>
> > (2) what functionality is duplicated between totem and n-m?
>
> Everything else (thumbnailer, property page).
>
> > (3) what's left in n-m that isn't  in (1) or (2)?
>
> The music view, which is of dubious value, from my POV. :-)

It is certainly of much less value than it once was, given the pretty
good (and improving) quality of RB and muine, neither of which was an
option when the original music view was written (IIRC).

Thomas indicated on multimedia-list that he'd wanted to put more in
there in the future, like "'convert to (audio profile)' extensions and
stuff like that."

I'd love to see someone do a detailed comparison of the thumbnailers and
property pages, make sure we're not losing anything big. But ATM, I have
to say it sounds like the right solution is to drop n-m and merge any
featurelets from the thumbnailers and property pages into totem. Thomas,
Hadess, thoughts?

[This assumes, of course, that we accept totem into the platform; I see
no strong suggestion that this won't happen.]

Luis