Re: Making nautilus faster with large directories

On Llu, 2004-12-06 at 14:08, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > is the SINGLE MOST ANNOYING[1] thing about the program.  In short, my
> > CPU time is meant to be used.  Any second my CPU is not doing a 100% is
> > processor time I paid for that got wasted.  Especially if I have to
> > *scroll down* to make the program actually thumbnail what I want to
> > preview.

Even 100% processor time is not definitely a problem (consider HT and/or
SMP). Busy is defined by some quite hard to quanitify PC metrics such as
memory bandwidths. nice() will ask the kernel to do the right things for
CPU although Linux (and afaik all other Unixen) don't currently have any
kind of "disknice" functionality.

Alan