Re: Making nautilus faster with large directories

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 03:46, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > I sent this mail to nautilus-list proposing an optimization that should
> > make the situation a lot better but got no answer:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-November/msg00074.html
> >
> > This should be considered for 2.10.  Any thoughts?
>
> The thing you mention about gthumb doing this exact thing is precisely
> why I dislike this idea.  gthumb's behaviour when it comes to thumbnails
> is the SINGLE MOST ANNOYING[1] thing about the program.  In short, my
> CPU time is meant to be used.  Any second my CPU is not doing a 100% is
> processor time I paid for that got wasted.  Especially if I have to
> *scroll down* to make the program actually thumbnail what I want to
> preview.
>
> What's the point of previewing if the previews are not ready for me to
> watch ? If the program is currently not doing anything, and it has work
> left to do to provide me a good and fast UI experience that doesn't
> waste my time waiting for stuff that should already have been done, it
> should GO ON AND DO IT.

I agree here.  Waiting for a user to scroll the bar is wrong.  However a
better approach might just be limiting the amount of CPU usage if for
instance it is causing the computer to become unresponsive. If it is
just a reaction to seeing 100% CPU usage then there is no reason for
this optimization.  There needs to be hard data that the 100% CPU usage
causes problems.

--
J5