Re: Hot plugged volumes in the notification area

El mi�01-12-2004 a las 17:18 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen escribi� On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, William Lovaton wrote:

> > What do you think about it?  I think it will improve usability in the
> > desktop since you have to minimize all your windows to see the new
> > available media.
>
> Please! Let's keep the notification area for *notifications*, and not
> start putting in icons that just sit there and do nothing.

This is exactly my intention.

> BTW based on Davyds proposal some time ago I was under the impression
> that GNOME panel applets/notification icons/launchers were going to be
> "merged" into one kind of applet type. Is this going to happen in the
> not too distant future?

I think this will happen in the (very?) distant future.

> > In fact, this is a fantastic opportunity to tell the user that he have
> > to unmount the volume before unplugging it.
>
> Not really. The system should be robust enough to handle hot plugging
> and unplugging, because the user is going to do that regardless.

Well, I think the right thing to do here is to inform the user to
unmount it.  Now if we can make the system that robust is another
matter, but the user should always unmount the filesystem before
removing it.

-William