Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 12:10, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Well returning to the previous thread about having a standard set of
> folders on the desktop, would it not make sense to include a "Shared
> Files" folder among them (I believe we mentioned having things like
> Documents,Pictures,Downloads etc as standard folders with their
> respective paths defined in GConf so that it can be internationalised
> and clean Desktops like Ubuntu could have those folders in Home whilst
> other distro's have them in ~/Desktop etc).

That gets back to the i18n problem so is a non starter until that is
fixed IMHO.

The whole set of arguments about "discoverability" occur solely because
you picked the name for the user. If I told it what to share I don't
have to discover what secret name in a foreign script in a language I
don't speak happens to magically share files.

I know what shares files because I hit "Share files" and it prompted me,
or because I hit the "Share this directory" option on nautilus.

End of discoverability problem.