Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:25 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Rodney Dawes">
>
> > and it will allow integration with multi-OS environments better.
>
> Which operating systems does GNOME run on that Apache doesn't?

It's not a matter of what it runs on, so much as what can connect to it.
If it's pluggable and allows a samba or appleshare or ifolder plug-in to
exist, you get the same UI for sharing your files through all these
methods, and people on Windows, OSX, or whatever, can also view your
files, as opposed to only people who might have something that supports
both Rendezvous and Webdav.

> > It also doesn't require any admin set-up of apache with mod_dav, since it
> > is a simple web server using libsoup.
>
> g-u-s does not require any admin setup, since it is a simple pre-configured,
> user-executed Apache daemon. I hear that's a pretty robust, secure web
> server. :-)

Does gnome-user-share do everything over https and take advantage of all
that extra robustness that you keep going on about? As Sean stated, to
do so, you would have to go edit a bunch of text files and run command
line utilties to set up all the htpasswd stuff, and aliases to point to
other directories than ~/Public.

And also, please point me to all the security holes in libsoup and
epittance, if you are going to market "secure web server" for the
inclusion of g-u-s.

-- dobey