Re: NetworkManager

On 31/08/04 09:51, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

If you wont use distro specific config files tu set static IP, the user
will change his settings, will reboot, and he won't see the same IP
address that he set before rebooting. That could counfuse the user.
And adding an init script that restore NM settings after the distro-
specific isn't the good way IMHO. We have a layer to be able of distro-
specific abstraction work, it's g-s-t, I don't think that rewrite code
or find solutions to problems already solved is the best way of work.
Unless I misunderstand what Seth said in his last mail, NetworkManager is designed as a *replacement* for the distro's existing network startup scripts (although it only handles ethernet and wireless currently). Making it depend on the existing networking scripts defeats the purpose.

Sure it might be a bit confusing if it isn't properly integrated, but that just means it hasn't been set up correctly.

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/