Re: bonobo activation environment matching and DISPLAY

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 14:17, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > >   Yes, I think it is deprecated, but I defer to Michael on this one.
> > > Michael, what's your opinion on this?
> >
> > 	I believe the new idea was to have each .server file denote which bits
> > of the client environment it really cared about; and thus have the
> > server process determining it's own per-display/per-whatever lifecyle
> > rather than the calling-client. That would seem to be a good idea in
> > general - I forget the precise syntatic details, but it focused around a
> > bonobo:environment stringv in the .server file AFAIR.
>
> 	I think there are few problems here:
>
>  - The $DISPLAY in the environment isn't canonicalised so comparing
>    semantically identical $DISPLAY in different process might not match.
>
>  - The $DISPLAY in the environment doesn't necessarily reflect the
>    actual display being used - think about --display and --screen.
>
>  - Merely keying of the $DISPLAY in the environment is not necessarily
>    always what you want - e.g. if you want per-screen instead of
>    per-display or vice-versa
>
> 	So, the old API wasn't perfect - but there were reasons for it. I think
> the main thing we were missing was an easy way of setting DISPLAY with a
> canonicalised value without or without the screen number.

And display canonicalization is very important. Without it you can
easily end up with forkbomb loops.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a notorious one-eyed dog-catcher trapped in a world he never made. She's
a man-hating tempestuous hooker who hides her beauty behind a pair of
thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!