Re: bonobo activation environment matching and DISPLAY

A Sex, 2004-08-20 às 07:46, Alexander Larsson escreveu:
> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 17:59, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Bonobo activation allows matching of services by environment string.
> > This is used in accessibility code, for instance when identifying a
> > magnification service, speech server, or at-spi-registryd appropriate to
> > a particular desktop session.
> >
> > However the env matching logic in bonobo-activation requires perfect
> > string matches.  Any applications which are spawned in an environment
> > which gets DISPLAY from gdk_get_display (for instance, children of
> > gnome-session) end up with a potentially different environment from
> > gnome-session itself, or the initial shell.  We're still investigating
> > why, but at first glance it looks as though gdk_get_display constructs a
> > display:screen string rather than just doing getenv("DISPLAY").
> >
> > We're wondering what the best fix is - should we just special case the
> > matching of DISPLAY in bonobo-activation, rather than trying to enforce
> > consistent values of DISPLAY among desktop processes?  Or should we call
> > gdk_get_display and re-normalize the environment of the client before
> > doing a bonobo-activation query?
>

> Nautilus does this early in main(), before registering to b-a to
> canonicalize the DISPLAY env var:
>
> 	/* Need to set this to the canonical DISPLAY value, since
> 	   thats where we're registering per-display components */
> 	bonobo_activation_set_activation_env_value ("DISPLAY",
> 						    gdk_display_get_name (gdk_display_get_default()));

  This is for the old "bonobo activation environment" API, which works
with an artificial environment.  The new bonobo:environment property of
<oaf_server> matches against the real unix process environment.
Therefore, to achieve the same effect with this method one one have to
do the same as in nautilus, but replacing
bonobo_activation_set_activation_env_value with setenv (or g_setenv).

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic