Re: Copyright assignment

On Thu, 2004-05-08 at 05:35 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Danilo Šegan">
>
> > Thanks, that pretty much clears it up.  I, for one, would never want to
> > assign copyright on anything I may (potentially) do on Mono or Evolution
> > code to Novell if this is the case: when I write something as free
> > software, I want it to *remain* free.
>
> Note that your changes, as released by Novell under the GPL, will *remain*
> free. Novell may do non-free things with them, but your contributions to
> Evolution - as released under the GPL - are still out there, under the GPL.
>
> > My patches to Evolution have so far been very small, so I am mostly
> > talking "theory" :)
>
> That's generally the case for most non-Ximian/Novell contributors, so in
> practice, it's not just theory. Ahem. :-)
>
> - Jeff

I would like to stop re-treading the same debate and steer the
discussion to seriously consider the possibility of assigning copyrights
to GNOME Foundation, then let the them arrange the nitty-gritty of
assigning/licensing to third parties like Novell.

One set of papers to sign forever. Is this possible? Is it a good idea?

Cheers,
Ryan